Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Woes of Medication Schedules and Sleep Disorders

I have to wonder if people that don't have conditions that cause sleep disorders, people without chronic illness, doctors, pharmacists, and those who develop medications realize how difficult it is to try to take your medication as directed when your sleep schedule is completely random. For instance; I take my 'AM medications' - including my thyroid medication and a 12 hour BP medication- at 9 in the morning, and have an alarm set for this purpose. I take my 'bedtime' medications at 9 at night - which includes another BP pill and a medication said to 'take at bedtime.'

Now, the thyroid medication is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach, and the 'bedtime' medication I believe is meant to help me get to sleep as well as its intended purpose of alleviating nerve pain. Fantastic.

But the problem is, sometimes I'm just getting to sleep at 9 AM, and just waking up, or having recently woken up, at 9 PM. If I were to take the thyroid pill on an empty stomach in that case, I'd have to go 8 waking hours (as that's generally the recommended time for an 'empty stomach') without a bite of food, and I'm hypoglycemic. Not happening. Then for the bedtime medication, it makes me groggy for several hours after I take it, regardless of caffeine intake.

This makes it so ridiculously frustrating for me. I know the thyroid medication is most effective on an empty stomach but I can't go that long without food, and even though the bedtime medication does make me groggy, I can't get back to sleep - God knows I wish I could.

Sometimes I honestly will lie in bed trying to sleep for 5-6 hours, crying half of the time out of frustration. 'Why can't I just be at least remotely normal?' I'll ask myself, and I honestly have no good answer other than 'You lost the genetic lottery.'

My schedule is so ridiculously erratic. Some nights/days, I'm lucky if I manage 4 hours of sleep after a 24+ hour stretch of being awake, only to repeat the same span of time or longer of being awake. Typically at that point when I can sleep, I'll sleep anywhere from 9 to 16 hours, only to then be awake another 24-48, and sleep 6. You get the picture.

It isn't that I'm not actively trying to sleep during those long stints. It isn't that I haven't tried taking things to help me sleep; I've tried Melatonin, Valerian, sometimes both at once on top of my bedtime medications, which while it does make me ridiculously groggy like I'm in a lucid dream, I can never actually sleep. It's like my brain just makes up its mind to hop around like a rabbit on speed no matter what I throw at it, and it's dragging me along for the ride, the sleep deprivation and exhaustion causing my Fibromyalgia and numerous other conditions to worsen in response, so not only am I bordering on catatonic half of the time, I'm in fairly severe pain on top of it.

I don't know how many of you reading this - if any of you - can relate, but I hope someone that reads this does, so that you know you aren't alone. Sometimes that's the hardest part; that feeling of isolation and loneliness that you're the only one dealing with something. I'm here to say that you aren't, and I hope by sharing my own struggles here, that I've helped you, even a tiny bit. Feel free to share your stories with me in the comments on any of my posts; I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment