Sunday, May 8, 2016

Book Review: A Fine Imitation by Amber Brock

I'm not usually one to get into the romance genre, but I decided, as I really do adore period pieces, to give A Fine Imitation a go. I'm so very glad I did! I've seen a couple of reviews here and there from people complaining about the slow or lack of story progression, and I honestly have no idea what they're talking about! The story progression was fantastic, and the character development was glorious.

I really felt Vera's struggles, not only with her upbringing and family, but with herself as well. The descriptions of the settings, of the characters, and of various details such as paintings and other works of art were fabulous and really put me in the scene, which isn't something that's easily accomplished, and while the shifting back and forth between past and present was, at first, a bit difficult for me to keep up with, once I got used to it, it was a breeze.

Amber Brock really managed to keep the characters within their personalities without letting them become one-dimensional, which is a difficult undertaking, and allowed them to fully blossom into who they were. She added seeds of doubt, of mystery, of intrigue, some characters you loathe right from the get-go, and others you found yourself rooting for just because you wanted to see them get one over on the other characters.

All in all, I highly recommend this book, I devoured it in one sitting and plan to re-read it many times over; it's a wonderful ride from start to finish that leaves you both satisfied yet still wanting that little bit more that makes you wonder if you won't see another novel in the future featuring the main characters from the book. Fantastic work, Mrs. Brock - my hat goes off to you!


I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this honest and unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment